If your child has difficulty writing the letters in her or his name, try going from gross motor movements to the finer motions of holding a pencil:
- Write each letter in large print in chalk on a sidewalk. Ask your child to point a toe and trace each letter. (This requires balance, too.)
- Practice “sky writing”, like an airplane. Ask your child to “write” each letter with an index finger in the air—large, then smaller—while looking at it in print.
- Ask your child to “write” each letter with a finger in sand.
- Practice the letters using markers. Use a different color for each letter.
- Practice the letters using a pencil.
Image © Susan Young Hoffman 2017